Monday, February 1, 2010

I never thought...

...that I would be talking about Sarah Palin on my first day of class!

The class I had today is called "Democratization in the 19th and 20th Centuries". How come all of my classes must be a mouthful? Anyway, I made it to the right building, right room, on time, which is quite an accomplishment since the room number I had was wrong. Thank goodness for helpful people!

The classroom was PACKED. I guess the VU doesn't follow Calvin's policy of closing classes at a certain size, because our instructor's solution to the overcrowding problem was to find a new room for next week. Now, I agree with this policy. It would lead to not ever having to petition a full class. Take heed, Calvin :)

So the crammed room had two students from the US (a girl from Louisiana and me), a guy from England, a guy from Turkey, a girl from Germany, and about 50 people from NEDERLAND. It was cool/weird/new/interesting to be one of the exchange students for a change.

The instructor felt that way too, apparently, because every question someone brought up in our discussion time was followed with "And can I ask the Americans how they feel?" Which is how I ended up (having to) share my views on Sarah Palin, 9/11, you name it. Oh boy.

The class didn't really need my opinion, thought, to get into some pretty heated discussions. At least three different times, people started going after each other in mini verbal duels that ended with the instructor saying "Let's move on!" And (raise your hands now), how many of you agree with what Tony Blair said during his inquiry? One person out of fifty raised his hand.

No, I'm not at Calvin anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment