Monday, March 22, 2010

Time for a(nother) study break....

Hello, blog readers! I'm still here! I feel bad for not updating lately, but truthfully I haven't been doing that much except studying for exams and feeling guilty when I'm not studying for exams. Study breaks are a necessary thing, though, which is why I am taking one right now to update the blog.

Maybe I'll use this post to talk about another "study break" I went on with Anna last Friday, which was a visit to the Amsterdam Historical Museum. Not really a mental break in some aspects, but whatever. Here it is:




































All of my pictures of the inside turned out blurry, so please use your imaginations. This museum came highly recommended by both Rick Steves and Nomadic Matt, so we figured we'd give it a shot. First, the perks:
-It was not crowded at all.
-A cool video in the beginning showed the city's growth since, well, the beginning of the city until now.
-All signs were in Dutch and English.
-There were a couple galleries of HUGE paintings, some of which were hung on the ceiling so you could literally stand under them.
-Admittance was free on our museum cards!

And some not-such-perks:
-The huge groups of teens on field trips who would temporarily swarm a gallery or room or stairwell. I think these kids might have been from the middle school next to Super deBoer. They were in that vein, anyway.
-The museum seemed pretty big, and I admit that by the end of it I was walking through the rooms pretty fast.

Placement: below the Dutch Resistance Museum for me, but still above the Bijbels Museum. (Nothing can beat the Bijbels Museum, though, for memorability). It was a good study break.

Plus, afterward, Anna and I went to a bakery and had delicious treats! I had a chocolate croissant and Anna had a mini pizza. With dozens of options that we didn't get to try, that bakery is worth a return visit.

Soooo, there is one thing that I did. Many of my other methods of procrastination do not even deserve space on this blog (One of those may or may not have been going outside to look for a creepy stray cat that my sister and mom want a picture of. Yeah). And now I've spent about 20 minutes writing this post, so it's probably time to get back to democracy in Greece and the pre-historic Netherlands...

It will all be worth it, though, since I'm only three days away from ROME!

1 comment:

  1. Woah woah woah...You're going to Rome?! Or is that just what you're studying?...either way I'm jealous. :D

    ReplyDelete