Saturday, March 6, 2010

I often think...

...that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.
-Vincent Van Gogh

Although it is Saturday, it's never too late for a few thoughts from Friday:

1) I've said it before, but not here so I will say it again: walk around a city at night, and you will see a completely different, often better, place. I think I fully realized this in London:



















and Paris:























last January. Now I'd like to add Amsterdam to that list of superb nighttime-itivty:























The sad thing is, the picture doesn't even capture half of what it truly looked like. Some things will just have to live in my head as memories. AND, I have three months to go back downtown and make more.

This was a numbered list, remember? On to the next loosely related thought!

2) Earlier yesterday, Deborah and I accomplished what was, for me anyway, a life goal that I have had since about last month: we got freshly-made stroopwafels from a vendor at the Amstelveen market!


















They were warm, delicious, and very very sugary. The stroopwafel stall was only one of dozens of stalls at the market, which sold EVERYTHING. By everything, I mean fruits, vegetables, clothing, baby clothing, bread, shoes, underwear, eggs, foam mattresses, fabric, wood flooring, tools, kitchen supplies, fish, socks, wallpaper, dog food, flowers, meat, jewelry, books, cards, movies, and cheese. Oh boy.

3) Dutch cinemas (de bioscoop!) have a very nifty feature, or at least the cinema we went to did. The display screen behind the ticket counter not only tells you when the movie starts and what it's rated, but also how many seats are left in the theater! Want to go to Alice in Wonderland? Oh, nope, because there are only 9 seats left. Maybe you should go to Valentine's Day, where there are 235 seats waiting to be filled! We knew we wanted to go to Invictus, and the sign conveniently showed us when we got there that the theater had 97 seats left. Pretty nifty feature, right? Should I petition Loews theaters to get it installed?

1 comment: