Saturday, June 5, 2010

Good morning, goodbye

It's 5:22AM in Amsterdam:





















In less than two hours I leave for the airport, in less than six hours I will be off Dutch ground, and in less than 22 hours I will be in Seattle.

So this post is the Last Post from Amsterdam, and I wonder what to say.

The most spectacular thing I can come up with is this: I'm kinda tired. I didn't see the point of going to bed late with the chance that I would not wake up early like I need to, plus I can sleep on the plane. Sleep, go home, sleep, and then...

WRITE. Among other things. You see, I have so much more I want to say about this semester even though I will be home. I just don't have the energy now, at what has become 5:36AM in Amsterdam. But I want to tell you about Belgium! And I took all these pictures and photos of the trams and metro that I hope to put in an ode to Amsterdam's public transport system. Finally will be the necessary retrospective works, the "What have I learned?" section of the end of the semester.

But not now. As long as you promise to keep reading a semester abroad blog for a few days after the semester abroad has ended, I will promise to write later when I can do justice to it all. Even though I won't be in Amsterdam anymore and will have said goodbye to so many things (the people, the food, the VU, the sights), even though I have to leave so much behind...maybe an even greater part of it all I get to take with me. And that, I think, is pretty cool.

Now I'm going to go out on my balcony to watch the light come up and hear those planes fly overhead one last time...

1 comment: