Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Giro d'Italia!

Hello! I need to someday write the recap of our last set of excursions, but today I'm just going to say that Turkish pizza is delicious. And I'm also going to tell a short story about the Giro d'Italia.

There are three Grand Tours of cycling: Tour de France (Tour of France), Vuelta a Espana (Tour of Spain), and Giro d'Italia (you guessed it -- Tour of Italy). And the Giro d'Italia was in Amsterdam this weekend.

WHAT????? You say. Amsterdam is not Italy! Well, the tour started here before jumping down to continue in Italy. And it went by the VU!

I was walking to class and couldn't help noticing the throngs of people that were lining the closed, police-lined streets.



















I thought, how many times does the Giro d'Italia go past my school? Probably only once. I knew I better stop and watch. For about 10 minutes, only cars and motorcycles went by:



















But after only about 10 minutes of waiting, the cyclists began to go by!



















For 30 seconds, they zoomed by. The cyclists still looked pretty fresh and happy!



















And just like that, they were off and gone!



















Followed by about fifty cars of extra bikes:



















It was awesome! Especially since I didn't know that the Giro would be riding right past the VU, or that they would be at the exact time that I was walking to lab. Got to love happy surprises! Including this sign that I found when I finally got to my lab only slightly late:



















Lab was postponed! I knew the Giro was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment